Saturday 9 July 2011

Before Teach First

My blog title is a phrase that I’m sure every single ICT teacher whispers (or screeches!) in their sleep. Personally, I haven’t had chance to utter these words to class of 30 rowdy, mouse-clicking, keyboard-bashing, music-listening teenagers. Yet I fear the day is looming ever closer which, quite frankly, impregnates me with fear. Don’t get me wrong, I’m much more comfortable standing in front of a class of excitable teens than a room of glaring peers, but the prospect of ‘doing it alone’ for the very first time and knowing that the majority of my teaching career rests on that very first hour is absolutely petrifying.

I decided to begin this blog as a means of tracking my progression and developing as a reflective, trainee teacher. After the idea had been thrown around by several colleagues, I have decided to give it a go. I am making no promises as to the length of this operation as I’m sure, come September, I will be almost completely absorbed by lesson planning, amongst other woes. I do not intend that this blog will be the most articulate or creative outlet of personal experiences: I am an ICT teacher after all! All I hope is that it presents a blunt, no nonsense and straight-forward account of my experiences as a trainee, and beyond.

My teaching journey began in October 2010 as an eager 3rd year Criminal Justice and Law Student. After having a chat with a delightful Teach First ambassador and graduate recruiter at the university careers fair, I decided to further research the cause. Teaching had always been an option for me, yet Teach First presented a unique opportunity. The idea of being thrust into the classroom after a mere six week training period was absolutely terrifying but the support and opportunities presented by the charity seemed to far outweigh the fright. 

A few days after sending off my application, I was invited to London for the assessment centre. The day was mostly a blur. The only significant thought I remember having was, ‘All these candidates with their Oxbridge education, posh accents and worldly experience.  I do not have a chance in hell.’ Note: I was educated at a ‘poly’, have quite a strong Yorkshire accent and little worldly experience. You see my point. Despite having my purse stolen on the tube, I left London with a slight feeling of optimism. I knew I’d done my best and maybe- just maybe- my Northern twang would set me apart from some of the others. 

At around 3pm the next day, I’d almost lost all hope. After reading several forums, I had a good idea that most candidates who had been provisionally accepted onto the programme received a phone call the day after. I think I received the call at around 3:30, and on receiving the news- I burst into tears.  I couldn’t believe my luck. Me... A teacher?

In the following months I completed countless numbers of forms in preparation for my Teach First journey, as well attending TF socials, ‘School Orientation Experiences’, studying for my degree finals, holding up a part-time job and maintaining a social life. It was tricky but I made it through. 

Summer Institute, here I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment